By using exposure compensation, you can tell the camera to either underexpose or overexpose the scene by a particular value. Sometimes, it’s hard to find out if there are any overexposed areas on the histogram. So, how much should you crop? I have a D3300 that I use for bird photography paired with an old Nikon 300mm 4.5AIs this lens forces me to shoot in all manual mode but once you learn the camera this is no big deal. Image Quality: RAW 2. In some cases, photographers shoot at slightly slower shutter speeds just to get the bird’s wings slightly blurred, to create a feeling of motion. Prathap is a professional nature photographer, blogger, and the GO-TO-GUY for Bird/Wildlife Photography. This is one of my favourite forms of bird photography. If you are unable to get the required shutter speed, in the case of low light, choose Shutter Priority (Tv/S) mode. Picture Control: Standard (SD) 5. Moreover, standing too close to a bird is also problematic, because only a part of the bird will be sharp, due to a. I recommend you to read about it. Say, you chose -1 stop exposure compensation using +/- button (as shown) on your camera. The general formula is to follow the reciprocal rule, which is to keep the shutter speed to at least the total focal length of the lens. The best time for photography is either early mornings or late afternoons, and the same thing applies for birds. Mr. Mansurov, I so much appreciate your article. The Nikon D5300 is a new 24 megapixel mid-range DSLR camera with built-in wi-fi and GPS connectivity. This means that if you are shooting with a 300mm lens on a full-frame camera, your shutter speed should be at least 1/300 of a second (if the 300mm lens is mounted on a crop-factor sensor, the shutter speed should equal focal length multiplied by the crop factor). Using higher ISOs, especially on the cropped sensors (like the Canon 70D, 7D Mark II, Nikon D500, D7200, etc. If you don’t have an AF-ON button, you can likely configure any other button, say the AE-L/AF-L button, to do the same thing. Your meticulously detailed article is extremely helpful. By stopping down lens aperture to something like f/8, I can capture more of the bird without blurring parts of it. Thanks to its superb build quality, proven ergonomics, insanely fast autofocus system and a huge buffer, the Nikon D500 earned its spot as a top Nikon DSLR for action photography. Nikon DSLRs have long offered two different focus point settings. Instead of setting the ISO to be at 400 or 800, it’s wise to set it to Auto ISO and select the maximum sensitivity to be 800. Typically, if the graph is skewed towards the right-hand side of the histogram, your image is overexposed (washed out whites or pure white areas with absolutely no detail). Camera Functions ... See the camera manual for detailed instructions. If you use heavy 500mm or 600mm lenses, a good tripod system (a tripod and a tripod head) is a must, simply because hand-holding these lenses is not practical. It’ll never know what the subject is and how it should be rendered. Remember, there are no retakes in bird photography. My previous birding lens was the 70-300; I am glad for the extra reach I have now but 300mm is long enough to get some nice shots with the great pixel density of the D5500. You can set it to any value you want. Don’t try to pressurize or overwhelm yourself with the information. Thanks for the tips, Nas. Some of the key advantages of using RAW files are: The Auto White Balance (AWB) setting is a boon to every digital photographer. This means you are utilizing the sensor’s complete capacity. In addition, you will have to buy a good heavy duty tripod + accessories (batteries, memory cards, etc). Ever since the Nikon Z6 and Z7 cameras were released, the general … Continue reading Bird Photography with Nikon Z mirrorless cameras → Whenever you release the AF-ON button it’ll automatically lock the autofocus, which means it’ll work as AF-S (or One-Shot AF). JPEG format, on the other hand, is an image compression standard. If you're not carrying the right lens, you miss the shot. Thanks, Ram. I… But the histogram gives you a clear-cut exposure reading. This tutorial describes the best settings to use, and why. I hope we’ll have a fun time photographing birds, and i hope i’ll be able to take pictures of birds as good as the ones who took and posted. It’s quite easy nowadays to fix this issue. With any tweaks/adjustments? Every time you take a photograph, you must check the histogram. Tamron’s 150-600mm VC G2 is excellent and if you prefer Sigma, you have two options – the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary and the 150-600mm Sport. There is enough material written about the subject; go ahead and embrace the knowledge. By checking this box I consent to the use of my information, as detailed in the Privacy Policy. The D5300 also offers 1080/50/60p video recording, ISO range of 100-25600, 5fps continuous shooting, a range of creative effects, 3.2 inch LCD screen, and a 39-point autofocus system. If anyone has told you that you should use Manual mode to get the best bird photographs, forget about their advice. I’ll be taking photos of birds in Tacurong, Sultan Kudarat, Philippines for a team of professors writing a thesis on birds. In most cases, it will be hard to control the background simply because the bird will not let you walk around and plan your shot, but there are a few things you can still do to achieve good subject isolation.
2020 nikon d5300 settings for bird photography